Return of Control



There was a small pink box with a pink ribbon sitting on the counter when I got home last Friday; looking at it, I knew right away what it was. I looked at Emily, who was making dinner; B was helping her, so I was careful in what I said around a small child.

"Is...is that for me?" I asked.

B looked up. "Mom said it was for both of you," she answered before Emily could.

"There's a card, too," Em said.

I saw a card next to the box, opened it first.

Returned, as promised.

I expect them back when Emily and I finalize our February plans, as promised.

I like being in control of these, in control of both of you.

Evan

I showed Emily the note; she smiled. 

"Who's it from?" B asked.

"Mommy's special friend," Emily said.

"I like presents," B said innocently.

"So do I, B," Em said.

"Are you opening it?"

"There's no hurry," Emily said, "I know what it is."

"Does Adre?"

"I'm sure," Emily said, "I'm sure."

"Don't you want to open it?" B asked me.

"V...very much," I said.

"Sometimes it's better to wait," Emily. "Maybe we should save it for Christmas. What do you think?"

"Christmas?" I swallowed.

"Maybe," Em said, turning back to cooking.

**********

"Did you mean that?" I asked her later that evening. "Christmas?"

Emily laughed. "You thought I'd unlock you tonight?"

"I...I don't know," I swallowed. "Soon?"

"It's funny, you know."

"What is?"

"You want me to promise I'll unlock you; Evan wants me to promise I won't unlock you. You know what, when I have the keys, it's my decision. Not his. Not yours."

"I'm sorry," I said, sensing her tone.

She held up her hand, smiled. "Sorry, too," she said, "I'm not actually mad, really. I liked it when he was in control, too. But I also like being in control. So it's not a promise to either of you, not the ones you want. I promised him I'll send the keys back when he and I finalize our plans for a trip in February and I promise you that I'll think about unlocking you before I send them back. Not a promise to unlock it, just a promise to consider it."

"I...I know," I said.

"Consider it."

"I know."

"Good," she smiled, "good."

Comments

  1. So much to unpack with this post.

    1.) It's so hot seeing how the rules of Evan holding the key have slowly changed.
    At first it was just a one time thing.
    Then Emily and he talked about him holding the key 1 or 2 months in advance before their next meeting.
    And now he EXPECTS them back as soon as they finalize their plans for the next trip.

    It doesn't matter when the trip takes place just when thre plan it, they could do that at any moment, in January, next month or tomorrow 😈

    Also there is this line that cought my intrest:
    "Evan wants me to promise I won't unlock you."
    Thats sounds like just a new level of control, putting this kind of pressure on Emily!
    This is the first time he aaked her for that kind of promise, isn't it?

    Lastly the present is such a nice zouch from Evan, potentialy there could be something else in there?
    Propertly not, but its just something else to think about...
    Eighter way it implies it shouldn't be opened before Christmas!!!





    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts