Text


I got an alert Emily's flight landed and a half hour later a text message. I assumed it was her but it wasn't.

"Just wanted to let you know she got here safely and I have her," the text said, "I'd say I'll be gentle with her, but I don't want to disappoint her so I'll just say I'll take good care of her this week."

It wasn't the first time he texted me, but it isn't often. My hands were shaking; all I could manage in response was, "thank you, she means a lot to me."

"No, thank you," he responded, "it's a fitting day for the two of us to spend together. "She means something to me, too. Something different, of course. But I know you know that."

"I do," I answered.

"She shares her location with you? On her phone?"

"Yes," I said.

"That's cute...keeping track of each other. She's going to turn that off for the rest of the week."

"Why?"

"Symbolic," he answered. "She's my responsibility for the next few days. She's welcome to call or text, but you don't need to worry about keeping track of her, I've got that for the rest of the week."

"Okay," I said, "if you want."

"Wasn't asking, just telling," he said.

I texted her. "You good?" I asked her.

"Yea, just waiting for my luggage. Evan said he was going to let you know he found me."

"He did. He there?"

"He's a luggage thing over."

"He said you were going to turn off location sharing."

"I'm chuckling. I think it's kind of a boyfriend thing, like he's got me for the week."

"That's what he said."

"I can tell him no, I will...but you might enjoy it. You won't be able to see if we're out or in the hotel or what we're doing so your dirty little mind can wander."

"If it was someone else I might ask you not to, but he's been in your life since before you knew me, so I trust him."

"He'll take good care of me," she responded, "he always has."

"He said that, too."

"He said he wants to talk about us, too. You and me, not me and him."

"Like how?"

"Just to understand our thing more."

"I'd point him to the blog but..."

"Don't pout," she said. "Listen, he's coming over, I have to run. I'm going to turn it off now, the location thing. Don't worry, I'm safe with my boyfriend."

"That makes my stomach flip every time you say it."

"And your little thing twitch, I'm sure."

"Yea," I said.

"He's good boyfriend material, Sara; he cares about the right things, he stays in his lane, and he give me things I need now and then."

"There's a double meaning."

"I know. Seriously, I have to run, my boyfriend will get jealous if I spend time texting you."

"Maybe he'll punish you."

"I don't need to make him jealous to punish me, love, I have other ways of doing that. Seriously, gotta run...let your mind wander...don't text or call, I will when/if I have a minute."

"Love you, Emily."

"Love you, too, Sara, now let me focus on being a good girlfriend."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts