Girls Trip

I was chatting with a couple of friends/followers (kisses Tanya and Marciann) about the importance of special time with Emily. Like, of course, Emily should not just have romantic getaways with Evan, her boyfriend, she should have them with me, too.

Marciann said that I needed to have overnight/weekend spouse only time. Like soon, she said, like March. Without the baby. 

What did Marciann say, "If you were to agree on every other month as you proposed, Then you would have that many get aways too The get away, hotel, dinner and intimacy away from the normal vanilla should not be a boyfriend only experience for her It should also be something spouses NEED to do too, at least as frequently if possible."

I told Marciann I was thinking the same thing and had actually talked to Emily about that very thing, literally that very thing. Emily wholeheartedly agreed we needed time together, too. I kind of presented it as "we need a night together" when I said it (we can get an overnight sitter, but not usually longer). 

Emily was like, "what do you want to do?"

"Well," I said, a little bashful, "I already talked to your parents and they're keeping the baby on March 4."

"You did?" she asked.

"Yea. We're dropping her off at 8 in the morning and then I have the day planned, got a hotel reservation, and dinner reservations."

"Do I get to know what we're doing?"

"No," I smiled, "it's a surprise."

"I need to know what to pack..."

"I'll tell you what to pack," I said with a smile.

"Okay, then," she said.

"I feel like..."

"Feel like what?"

"Like I should have an expectation, too. Like Evan...your boyfriend," I said in a playful tone, "expects a weekend every other month."

"If it works out."

"If it works out," I agreed, "but that's his expectation, isn't it?"

"Yes," she admitted. 

"Well as your spouse, I feel like I should have an expectation for us, too."

She smiled. "Go on," she said, as if she was expecting this.

"I feel like, I don't know, for every weekend he gets, we should find time for ourselves."

"I'm not saying no, Sara, I just don't know we can go away for a weekend every other month. When I'm with him, you're with the baby, but my parents..."

"I know...I'm not asking for the same thing he has, that's not the issue, but I'd like at least an overnight trip, like 24 hours, for just the two of us, for every weekend he gets."

"You already asked my parents, didn't you?"

"Kind of," I admitted, not sure if she'd be upset. "I said, well, she adores spending time with them and that you and I were thinking of scheduling an every other month overnight getaway, and, well, of course you mom said yes without any hesitation."

"Of course she did," Emily said. "You should have asked me first. But you're right, you should have expectations, too."

"I'm sorry, you're right, I just..."

"No, it's fine. Of course I'd love time with just the two of us. I had so much fun in the Fall and in December. You're okay with just one night to his two?"

"It's not a contest," I said, "I'm not counting hours. It's the time together." She smiled. "We seem closer when you get to see him and we seem closer when we get away. I guess combining those is good."

"You're sweet," she said. "I can't guarantee..."

"I know, I know," I stopped her. "He didn't ask for a guarantee and neither am I. Just an expectation. He wants regular visits with you; I want regular couple time, too."

She smiled again. "I'm some kind of lucky woman to have two people who want time with me and accept the other."

**********

We talked the next night about what to pack; she likes to plan ahead.

"So, what are you thinking?" she asked me after the baby was in bed.

"You know," I bit my lip in the way I do when I'm nervous. "You know that gray pleated swing skirt you have..."

"That's cute; you want me to wear that? I would have thought one of my shorter ones."

I looked down again. "No...I mean...I...I wanted to borrow it," I said.

"Wait, sorry, is this isn't an Emily and her husband date, it's an Emily and Sara date, isn't it?"

"Emily and Sara," I looked down, hoped that was okay.

"The whole time?"

"The whole time," I said, "just Emily and Sara; no boy clothes to be seen."

"Well, well, well," she said, "a special day and night, then, a girls trip."

"Yes," I said.

"Is the skirt for day or night?"

"Day," I said. "We'll be inside but on our feet."

"We're going to a museum, aren't we?"

"Maybe," I said, realizing she knew me too well.

"Of course you can borrow it. What are you wearing with it?"

"Just a black sweater, black nylons, and I thought about buying those boots I've been looking at." She knew I wanted to get a pair of low boots to wear with skirts or dresses.

"God, Sara, you'll look so pretty," she smiled. "Dinner?"

"I...I want a new dress," I said.

"Were you planning this the entire time I was in Austin? You picked one out, didn't you?"

"I ordered one I like, I wanted you to see it, of course, but it's cute."

    


"God, that's adorable. And me? Did you pick something out for me?"

"Maybe," I laughed, "maybe."

"Old or new?"

"I might have ordered you a dress, too."

"My, my, my, someone's been busy. Let's see it."

"No," I said.

"No?" she raised an eyebrow.

"I...I want to surprise you."

"Oh my god, how slutty am I going to look?"

"No sluttier than you've looked when you've gone out with Evan," I said.

"I get the feeling I'm not going to need underwear, am I?"

"Just...just sheer pantyhose," I said.

"You're something else," she laughed. "How the hell are you going to contain yourself?"

"I don't think I have to worry about that," I said, looking down.

She laughed, almost snorted. "Touché." 

Comments

  1. Heart Emoji and Tears of Joy Emoji
    You are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good idea. Can't wait to hear all about it.
    Always thought it unfair that Evan got Emily on vacation, while your lives are more mundane. Well said Marci Ann

    Love Tanya xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see if Henry will exert his influence on one of these girl trips. Phone calls? Texting? Henry is gonna miss his girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another grand slam from our Sara. Mwa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts